A Community Health Worker – Key Populations Programme vacancy is available at our Client Wits Health Consortium’s Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (RHI) in the Vhembe District in Limpopo.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (Wits RHI) is a renowned African-led research institute that seeks solutions to Africa’s health challenges.
It is located within the University of the Witwatersrand and addresses some of the greatest public health concerns affecting our region, including HIV and its related problems, sexual and reproductive health and vaccinology. This is done through pioneering, multi-disciplinary research; responsive technical support and innovation in health services; and evidence-based policy development and advocacy with national, regional and global stakeholders.
The Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (Wits RHI) is a leading research institute attached to the University of the Witwatersrand. We address some of the greatest public health concerns affecting the region, including HIV, sexual and reproductive health, and vaccinology. We do this through pioneering, multi-disciplinary research; responsive technical support and innovation in health services; and evidence-based policy development and advocacy with national, regional and global stakeholders. Our Key Populations Programme seeks a Technical Advisor to join our senior leadership team.
Main purpose of the job
- To provide HIV counselling and testing to female sex workers, link them to HIV treatment and prevention services and retain them in care using data-driven tracking and tracing of patients who are Lost to Follow Up
- Oversee peer educator teams responsible for mobilising female sex workers. Drive mobile clinic to community hotspots
- Vhembe District – Limpopo
Key performance areas
- Conduct health information, education and communication (IEC) activities with female sex workers and/ or their clients at brothels and community based hot spots
- Monitor condom and lubricant stock at project sites and arrange proactive distribution by peer educators
- Demonstrate condoms usage to clients at outreach sites
- Conduct pre and/or post HIV test counselling
- Link female sex workers to HIV prevention and treatment services
- Provide adherence counselling and support to clients on antiretroviral therapy (ART)
- Identify, track and trace female sex workers at risk of becoming Lost to Follow Up in order to retain them in care
- Plan and facilitate risk reduction workshops and small group-based support sessions; contribute to ‘Creative Space’ sessions
- Coordinate and quality assure peer educator outreach activities, including micro-planning
- Conduct regular spot profiling activities to identify new or under-serviced hotspots and assist with population size estimations as required
- Mentor peer educators to perform their duties to the required standard
- If applicable, perform health related duties under the supervision of a professional nurse
- Support data consolidation and other information from peer educators, prepare and submit monthly and quarterly reports to M&E Officer and Site Manager
- Perform related office administration duties of the programme
- Drive a mobile clinic
Required minimum education and training
- Grade 12
- HIV counselling and testing certificate
- Valid driver’s license, including PDP certificate
- Fluent in English and other Africa languages (Sesotho and Zulu preferable)
Required minimum work experience
- Minimum 6 months working experience as a Community Health Worker or Lay Counsellor
- 2 years as an HTS counsellor
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Basic HIV education and counselling
- Empathetic with good communication and interpersonal skills
- Computer literate with working knowledge of Microsoft office
- Be tactful, respectful and maintain confidentiality
- Able to work independently and work as part of a multi-disciplinary team
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV – Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 07 October 2019.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.
SCAM ALERT – PLEASE BE AWARE! NOT AJ PERSONNEL OR ANY REPUTABLE AGENCY NOR ANY CLIENT WILL ASK MONEY FOR INTERVIEWS. NO FEES WILL BE CHARGED FOR ANY INTERVIEWS OR OFFERING YOU A JOB!!! – DON’T BE SCAMMED!!!